Today I'm linking up with I Heart Grade 3 to tell you a little about the best vacation of my life (so far)! Before I had kids, I was really into traveling to new places. My husband and I even had a destination wedding in Honolulu, Hawaii!
|A Hawaiian wedding.|
Obviously, this was a FANTASTIC vacation, but I've decided to tell you all about the biggest vacation I've ever taken- a month long trip around Europe all by MYSELF! Back in 2007, before I ever met my husband, I had big plans for a European vacation. Unfortunately, none of my friends wanted to spend the money to go on this long of a vacay, so I decided to go by myself. BEST decision ever! I met so many fun people along the way from all over the world. Many I am still in touch with today (thank you Facebook)!
While I was overseas I visited London, Amsterdam, Berlin, Munich, Austria (just for white water rafting), Florence, Venice, Rome, Lucerne and Paris. Part of the trip I went on a tour with Contiki tours, so even though I was alone I wasn't really alone. I've always been really independent and I liked being able to venture out on my own sightseeing or go with a little group to explore different places.
|In the Swiss Alps|
|London phone booth photo op!|
|In Berlin at the Brandenburg Gate.|
|Oui, oui- the Eiffel Tower.|
A few faves from the trip:
1) Visiting the Musee D'Orsay in Paris. Crazy to acually see the paintings I studied in my senior year Humanities class. And they didn't have ropes around them or glass covering them!
2) Riding the gondola up to Mount Pilates in Switzerland. So very beautiful! Lucerne was magnificent in general. So clean, so pretty, perfect weather, swans and chocolate. Goodness gracious I want to go back.
3) Munich. I did a bike tour in Munich that was so fun. They have huge glorious parks, river surfing and one liter beer steins. Who wouldn't love it?
4) Riding public transportation around the cities- the tube in London, the trams and buses in Amsterdam, metro in Rome & Paris, water taxis in Venice. I loved it! I only got lost once while I was in Rome. I got on an express train by accident. When I started seeing hay bales outside I figured it out and got back on the right track. Luckily, I was traveling with a group of friends that day!
5) When I wasn't riding public transportation I was walking- everywhere! That's the way to see a place for sure!
To be honest, there was just so much good on that trip I could never write about it all in one little blog post, so many once in a lifetime memories.
Exactly as a vacation should be.